Naruto tells a story of a fascinating ninja world where ninjas can use various awesome techniques called Ninjutsu. These Ninjutsu techniques are so cool that… they are more like magic rather than ninja techniques we know in real life. And among this ninja world, there is a particular type of Ninjutsu which is extremely unique and everyone totally loves it: Dojutsu, or Eye Techniques. Of course, Naruto fans are already too familiar with these special eye powers, yet it is still interesting to take a look at them again. Especially, there is a particular new eye power possessed by Naruto’s son – Boruto himself. Boruto eye power seems to be extremely powerful and it totally piques our interest. So what is this eye? Where did it come from? Let’s find out!
So before going into Boruto eye power, it would be a good idea to recap what we have known about these special Dojutsu.
Dojutsu (瞳術) literally means Eye Techniques, referring to ninja techniques and abilities which are unique only to a particular special eye. These unique eyes cannot be learned by any other mean, besides inheriting them from specific bloodline (Kekkei Gekkai). The Dojutsu user usually gains tremendous power and superior advantage over normal ninja. Especially, the user can use various abilities which are only available for that particular eye. Those eye techniques are of course, also tremendously powerful in their own ways.
There are lots of Dojutsu featured in Naruto Universe, but here we would to cover the most well-known eyes only, specfically the Three Great Dojutsu (三大瞳術): Byakugan, Sharingan, and Rinnegan.
Byakugan (白眼), or White Eye, is one of the Three Great Dojutsu and naturally, it possesses fearsome power, despite not being as obviously destructive as other eyes. This eye is also referred as the All-Seeing White Eye since it allows user to have nearly 360-degree vision. So far, only Hyuga and Otsutsuki clan possess this Dojutsu, inherited directly from Kaguya Otsutsuki herself.
The eye is very unique since it always appears as a white, feature-less eye. Only when activated, the pupil will appear, along with the bulging veins near the eye.
Byakugan user gains two abilities: having near-360-degree vision and being able to see the Chakra flow of other people. The vision ability gives the users like Hyuga clan members great advantage as they can aware almost everything surrounds them. Combining with their special Gentle Fist techniques, they are dangerous to fight especially one-on-one as they can disable the opponent’s Chakra flow, making them unable to perform any Chakra-based Ninjutsu. The only weakness about the eye is that it can only provide near 360-degree vision, which means there is a specific blind spot located at their neck.
Since Byakugan allows seeing the opponent’s Chakra Pathway System, the Hyuga clan created Gentle Fist combat techniques which mostly focus on disabling opponent’s ability to use Chakra. The two most common techniques we see in anime are:
- Eight Trigrams Palm Rotation: The user unleashes a vast amount of Chakra and rapidly rotates it around them, forming a Chakra shield deflecting any sort of attacks. This is also considered as the Ultimate Defense… until Gaara coming along.
- Eight Trigrams Sixty-Four Palms: The user unleashes a devastating 64-hit combo which precisely disables 64 Chakra points on the opponent’s body. Getting hit by full combo does not only disable the Chakra usage, but also renders the target useless.
Later in Naruto Shippuden, Hinata created a new technique of her own called Twin Lion Fist. This technique forms a twin guardian lion heads on her two arms. Opponents get hit by the lion head will have their Chakra drained significantly.
This eye has only featured in The Last Naruto The Movie, originally possessed by Hamura Otsutsuki, and later on inherited by his descendants on the Moon.
Tenseigan (転生眼), or Reincarnation Eye, often recognized through its blue pupils and floral pattern. Frankly speaking, there is not much to be known about the eye, except that it is a special Dojutsu owned by Hamura Otsutsuki. By using the eye’s power, Hamura brought peace to his people and later on, his descendants consider his eyes as sacred treasure. In The Last Naruto The Movie, we see Toneri Otsutsuki implanted Byakugan from Hinabi Hyuga and awoken the Tenseigan. He planned to use this eye power to bring “salvation” for mankind on Earth. Unfortunately for him, Naruto and Hinata defeated him while his eyes change back to Byakugan.
Overall, it seems Tenseigan possesses the power similar to Naruto’s Six Paths Sage Mode, except that the user emits a green aura instead of Naruto’s orange aura. In addition, Tenseigan also has the kinetic power, similar to one of Rinnegan’s.
Okay, this one is a pretty complicated Dojutsu since it has tons of versions and abilities. But let’s try to recap, shall we?
Sharingan (写輪眼), or Mirror Wheel Eye, is an unique Dojutsu belongs only to the Uchiha clan. It has distinct red color with black pupil and three comma-like marks called tomoe surround it. This eye is a heritage from Kaguya, and then her grandson Indra Otsutsuki.
Frankly speaking, every Naruto fans definitely know this powerful Dojutsu. This eye is tremendously powerful, yet it is also the curse of Uchiha clan. The reason is: It can only be activated through strong emotive situation which allows the brain to release a special Chakra. This Chakra affects the optic nerve and completely changes the eye’s appearance. Unfortunately, in the world of Naruto, such emotional situations are often about loss and hatred. Not to mention that the Uchiha clan is emotional and empathic, yet they are also easy to be emotionally trigger via bad situations.
Of course, in exchange for the so-called “Curse of Uchiha”, Sharingan also grants them incredible power, typically:
- The Sharingan user can see Chakra, yet not as details as Byukagan. And especially, the user can clearly see the opponent’s movements and even copy them (hence the name Copy Wheel Eye). The copying ability doesn’t just limit within body movements, it can also copy other Chakra-based Ninjutsu perfectly. The prominent example for this is Kakashi Hatake who revered as Kakashi of the Sharingan.
- Sharingan’s copy ability is fearsome, but what makes it more interesting is its special Genjutsu We know Genjutsu can put the opponent falling into illusion. But the Genjutsu from Sharingan is even more powerful as it makes illusions feel extremely real, so real that even opponents can’t realize that they are already in illusion. The best example is probably Itachi Uchiha who usually uses Genjutsu Sharingan techniques. Most of the time, his opponents already fall due to his illusion before they can realize what’s happening.
Talking about Genjutsu, there are two powerful techniques which we have only seen them being used once: Izanagi and Izanami.
- Izanagi is an insane ability which allows users to bend reality for a short while. They can change illusion into reality and vice-versa, thus believe to be able to change destiny. But in exchange for such absurd power, the user will lose one of his Sharingan. During the battle between Danzo Shimura and Sasuke, Danzo escaped death numerous times thanks to Izanagi and tons of Sharingan implanted on his arm.
- Since Izanagi is so… absurd, a technique called Izanami was created to prevent Izanagi from being abused. As Itachi explained, this technique put the opponent in an absolute illusion of looping events, regardless of their senses. Once being captured by the power, the target will have no choice but to take a look back at himself and realize his faults. If not, the illusion will keep continuing for eternity. Then again similar to Izanagi, the user also lost one of his Sharangan after using Izanami.
This eye is the exact reason why Sharingan is more complicated than other Dojutsu. In short, Mangekyo Sharingan (or Kaleidoscope Copy Wheel Eye) is an upgraded version of Sharingan. It can only be awoken when the Sharingan users witness the loss of their beloved person (The more reason why Uchiha clan deemed as “cursed”).
The reason why it gets complicated is because each Mangekyo Sharingan user has a distinct eye appearance, although all share a similar black and red color, and the form resemble pinwheel. In addition, besides their common abilities, certain users possess completely unique abilities (which we will mention below).
Mangekyo Sharingan Power
Besides the original Sharingan power, this upgraded version provides a whole new powerful Ninjutsu arsenal. The most common known abilities are:
- Amaterasu: It unleashes pitch-black flame which consumes everything on its path and controlled by user’s vision. This flame cannot be extinguished by any means, except by its user.
- Susanoo: Probably this is the “hottest ability” in Naruto Universe, besides Naruto’s Kurama Form. It creates a powerful humanoid construct surrounds the user. This construct has certain stages and in its final stage, it resembles a full humanoid being with tengu-like features. Each Susanoo Form also possesses unique power. Sasuke, Itachi, and Madara Uchiha are the most prominent examples, especially Madara who has a ridiculous enormous and powerful Perfect Susanoo.
Besides these two common abilities, there other unique abilities such as:
- Kamui: It opens a pocket dimension which only the user can transport in or out. So far, Kakashi and Obito Uchiha are the only known Shinobi to be able to use Kamui. Their Kamui dimensions are also connected since both possessed each eye of a same pair.
- Tsukuyomi: This is the ultimate Genjutsu Sharingan which can modify the sense of time. It traps the target inside a powerful illusion. The pain caused in this illusion is so real, just like in reality (No wonder why Itachi often uses Tsukuyomi as a form of torture).
- Kotoamatsukami: This Genjutsu is unique to Shisui Uchiha which allows him to mind-control the enemy. It is an extremely powerful Genjutsu that even victims don’t even release they are being controlled. Kotoamatsukami can be considered as the strongest Genjutsu Sharingan to date. But as Itachi implied, it has to wait at least a decade to be able to use again.
- Tengai Shinsei: During the Fourth Shinobi World War, we saw numerous crazy techniques. But, how about summoning a falling meteorite? Yup, this is an unique ability used by Uchiha Madara, and later on Sasuke. Not much to say about this technique since it is already ridiculous by itself. It is even more ridiculous when Madara could summon tons of meteorites from the sky.
- Object Manipulation Technique: This is a new Sharingan technique featured in Boruto Naruto Next Generations It is used by Shin Uchiha, which allows him to freely control any object sealed by him.
Eternal Mangekyo Sharingan
Mangekyo Sharingan sounds cool, but it also comes with a weakness: The more it is used, the more blurry the eye will become. And at a certain limit, the user will be blind and the eye can’t be used anymore. However, there is a “convenient” twist: If an user gets transplanted with another Mangekyo Sharingan from the person close to him, preferably siblings, he will gain Eternal Mangekyo Sharingan.
Eternal Mangakyo Sharingan retains all the power of the original Mangekyo Sharingan and it can be used freely without suffering from the blind risk. Up to this point, the only people who got Eternal Mangakyo Sharingan are Sasuke and Madara Uchiha.
Rinnegan (輪廻眼), or Samsara Eye, is the final set of the Three Great Dojutsu which said to be only bestowed on mankind during the chaotic times. The legend refers it like the eye of god with power to change the world. It has distinct appearance with purple color, along with a small black pupil and 6 black circles around it. Each circle is said to refer to each of the Six Paths.
The eye comes from Kaguya’s Rinne Sharingan and achieved by her son Hagoromo Otsutsuki. With the power of Rinnegan, Hagoromo forever changed the world and made foundation for the Shinobi world. He is referred as the Sage of Six Paths and his Rinnegan became a part of his legend. In order to gain Rinnegan, a person needs to have Harogomo’s Chakra via combining his two sons’ Chakra – Indra and Asura, or gaining Chakra from Harogomo himself. The first person who inherited Rinnegan was Madara – an Indra’s descendant, who successfully infused himself with Hashirama Senju’s cells – an Asura’s descendant.
Sasuke is a special case as he can awaken Rinnegan by receiving half of Hagoromo’s Chakra. His Rinnegan also has unique feature with 6 tomoes on the 2 innermost circles of the eye.
As the eye representing the Six Paths, Rinnegan possesses these six powers:
- Animal Path: Animals summoning.
- Asura Path: Weaponizing the body into mechanical arsenal.
- Deva Path: Kinetic and gravity control, including 3 most powerful techniques: Bansho Ten’in – Attractive force, Shinra Tensei – Repulsive force, and Chibaku Tensei – Summoning a powerful gravity black orb which pulls everything to it.
- Human Path: Reading mind and extracting soul.
- Preta Path: Absorbing Chakra
- Naraka Path: Summoning the King of Hell who can restore a damaged body or take soul from liars.
In addition to the Six Paths abilities, there is an additional Outer Path which allows user to revive the dead (Fully revive, not just “half-assed” revive like the Impure World Reincarnation technique), transfer Chakra, and summon the Chakra Chains.
Besides these “standard” powers, there are several unique abilities as following:
- Limbo: This ability used by Madara to create his shadows in the world of Limbo. These shadows also exist in physical world and can act independently. They cannot be detected by any means, except for Sasuke who can see the shadows via his Rinnegan. Naruto can also “sense” the shadows but he can’t see them like Sasuke.
- Amenotejikara: An unique ability of Sasuke which allows him to exchange position between himself and an object (including living beings) within a certain range.
Rinne Sharingan (輪廻写輪眼), or Saṃsara Copy Wheel Eye, is the original Dojutsu of all, awoken by Kaguya Ōtsutsuki as her third eye. It has a distinct appearance resembling red Sharingan with 3 circles around the pupil. Each circle also has 3 tomoes on it, which make up for 9 tomoes in total.
The eye also called as Tsuki no Me (月の眼), or Eye of the Moon in Japanese. According to the legend, those who possess Rinne Sharingan can reflect the moon and open the way to infinite dream. Madara proved this legend to be true as he successfully gained this eye and put the whole world in dream with the Infinite Tsukuyomi, except for Naruto, Sakura, Kakashi, and Sasuke thanks to his Susanoo.
Besides performing Infinite Tsukuyomi, both Madara and Kaguya can manipulate the God Tree to capture and absorb Chakra from people. Another unique ability is Amenominaka, used by Kaguya to “transport” people into her created dimensions, from the world of burning lava, the cold world of ice, to the world of extreme gravity. As Kakashi explained, this ability requires an insane amount of Chakra. Meanwhile, we can see Kaguya easily transport herself and Team 7 into various dimensions with no problem, which pretty tells us how insanely powerful she is.
So with all these “main” Dojutsu recapped, let’s get into the newest Dojutsu and probably the most interesting one to date: Jougan.
So far, not much has been revealed about Boruto’s Dojutsu origin and true power. We have only seen a fracture of its power and at this time, Boruto still has not gained full control over it. Its official name hasn’t been announced yet. But according to a picture drawing Boruto cleaning his right eye, it has a caption which translated as Jougan (or Pure Eye). Therefore, let us use that name for the time being.
Jougan is awoken from his right eye with black sclera and light-blue pupil. If looking up close, it also seems to have white halo surrounding the pupil. At the beginning of Boruto anime, we can see Boruto already has full control over the eye. Returning to his younger age, we get to see the first time he awoken the eye and has glimpse of its power:
- First, it grants Boruto the power to sense and see Chakra, especially the dangerous one. This ability is self-activated, probably because Boruto hasn’t gained control over it yet.
- Second, it allows Boruto to see the Chakra Pathway System, similar to that of Byakugan. It even has an additional advantage over Byakugan since Boruto can also spot the vital Chakra point.
- Finally (for now), Boruto can see the invisible barrier connecting different dimensions. He can also seem to be able to influence the dimensional portal, as seen from his encounter with his classmate Sumire Kakei.
Quite a powerful set of power indeed! But let’s remind us all that these are just the beginnings and we can expect a lot more in the future. But for now, the question is:
What is this eye and where did it come from?
According to the episode 8 of Boruto anime, we have seen the return of Toneri from The Last Naruto The Movie. We saw Toneri sending Boruto messages and he said the following: “Your eye is a star of hope. The power of hope slumbers deep within you… against destruction that will eventually come to pass.”
Now, let’s put the “cliché” of a destined hero child aside, but rather, focus on Toneri’s words. He said that Boruto possesses the Star of Hope, which highly referring to Boruto’s right eye. He himself also mentioned that eye as Jougan, which means “Pure Eye”. Based on this information and Toneri’s origin, some people suspect that Jougan is a Dojutsu in Byakugan – Tenseigan line. Some also think that it is Toneri who gave Boruto the eye but for now, we don’t think that is the case.
The Eye of Purification?
From our personal perspective, we still believe that Boruto’s Jougan is related to the Otsutsuki clan. But Toneri is not the one who gave Boruto eye; rather, Boruto already inherited the eye in the first place. The eye seems to be the manifestation from Hinata and Naruto’s Chakra. Now, it may sound unrelated at first but let’s look at their bloodline:
- In Naruto The Last, Hinata Hyuga (or Hinata Uzumaki since she married Naruto) is referred as Byakugan Princess and she directly received Chakra from Hamura Otsutsuki – twin brother of Hagoromo Otsutsuki. Thanks to this power, she and Naruto was able to disable Toneri’s Tenseigan.
- Naruto received Hagoromo’s Chakra from the Fourth Shinobi World War and naturally, his son should also inherit this Chakra.
This is purely speculation but let’s think about it: At the beginning of Shinobi history, both Hagoromo and Hamura combined strength in order to seal away their “evil mother”. Doesn’t this sound like “purify”? And what does sound like “purify”? It’s the Pure Eye! Back to Boruto’s case, it was his Jougan which spotted Nue’s Dark Chakra in the first place. This Dark Chakra fed on human’s negative emotion and what did Boruto do for its victims? He brought them back to normal, or in another word: “purified” them!
Its name and power actually do make sense in this case since we know that Hagoromo and Hamura sealed their own mother. And it seems the power of this seal is passed onto Boruto – son of Hinata and Naruto, both inherited the Chakra of Hamura and Hagoromo and their will.
Besides this hint, there are 2 more things made us come up with this theory:
- First, Toneri is the one who told Boruto about the eye and his destiny. And who’s Toneri? He is the descendant of Otsutsuki clan and in Naruto The Last, Toneri wished to “cleanse” the humanity. Is it coincidence for such a man to tell Boruto about his great destiny? We think not.
- Second, we believe Chakra is a natural force, but on the hand of man, it can be twisted. Originally, Kaguya was the first one discovered Chakra. She used this enormous power to bring peace, yet gradually she is consumed by greed and power. In other words, she became more “evil”. But at the same time, Chakra can be used for good, typically in the case of her twin sons Hagoromo and Hamura: they sealed their mother’s “evil”. They themselves represented the good side of Chakra and how it can help humanity. Therefore, we think the Pure Eye – Jougan is a form of pure Chakra – the good Chakra which supports humanity. This can explain why the eye can detect the Dark Chakra from Nue.
With all these evidences, it seems Jougan represents the pure Chakra originated from Hagoromo and Hamura’s combined power. Boruto inherited Jougan because of his bloodline from Hinata and Naruto, not because Toneri or someone mysteriously gave him the eye. What about the destiny which Toneri mentioned for Boruto? It means Boruto is destined to help the world and prevent it falling to the darkness. His eye is his mean to purify the darkness which threatening the world.
But hey, that’s just our personal speculation? What about you? What do you think about Boruto eye power? Feel free to share with us and for now, thank you and stay tune for more news in the future!
You may also like: