It has been more than 10 years since the last time fans have seen a brand new Devil May Cry sequel since Devil May Cry 4 (excluding all the special editions and DmC Devil May Cry by Ninja Theory). Therefore, we can understand how crazy it was when Capcom first announced the upcoming sequel: Devil May Cry 5 in E3 2018 with the fabulous “boy band” – Nero, Dante, and the new character V. So what things we know about Devil May Cry 5 so far? Let’s find out!
For those who are not into action games, Devil May Cry is an extremely famous action-game franchise made by Capcom. The first title – Devil May Cry – was released in 2001, introducing the arrogant, yet charming devil-slayer Dante, son of the Legendary Dark Knight Sparda. In 2003, the next sequel – Devil May Cry 2 was released, featuring the good ol’ Dante, along with a new storyline. 2 years later, Devil May Cry 3 Dante’s Awakening was released, featuring Dante and Vergil’s story. And in 2008, Devil May Cry 4 was released, introducing the new playable character Nero who was confirmed to be Vergil’s son.
Chronicle-wise, Devil May Cry’s timeline is a bit all over the place. If we consider the story process, it all started with Devil May Cry 3 Dante’s Awakening, and then Devil May Cry 1, then Devil May Cry 4, Devil May Cry 2, and finally the upcoming Devil May Cry 5.
The franchise mostly focuses on Dante and his lineage. Prior to Devil May Cry 3 timeline, there was a legendary devil named Sparda who fought against the tyranny of the demon emperor of the Underworld – Mundus. Later on, Sparda fell in love with a human girl Eva, they had 2 children: Dante and Vergil, who both were half-demon, half-human and they both possessed the tremendous power thanks to their devil’s heritage. In Devil May Cry 4, the game featured a new descendent of Sparda’s bloodline – Nero who was Vergil’s son.
The upcoming sequel Devil May Cry 5 is expected to release on March 8, 2019 and it will feature 3 playable characters, including the fans’ favorite Dante, Vergil’s son – Nero, and a new playable character called V. And since there are still months until the game’s release, let’s see all things we know about Devil May Cry 5 so far!
It takes place after Devil May Cry 2 and 4
As mentioned, Devil May Cry 5 will take place after Devil May Cry 2 and 4. This also means Dante and Nero have already met each other and they are basically… uncle and nephew. However, there are certain events happened before Devil May Cry 5 which have not been explained yet. For instance, for some reason Nero’s Devil Bringer was lost and instead, he had a new cybernetic arm built by Nicoletta Goldstein (or Nico for short). That said, we expect everything will be explained properly when the game comes out.
It will feature 3 playable characters
Devil May Cry 5 will feature 3 playable characters for the first time ever in Devil May Cry series: Dante, Nero, and V. At the current time of this article (October 1, 2018), only Dante and Nero had their own playable demo, while V’s gameplay is still a mystery.
Judging by the trailers, we can see Dante is still as cocky as ever (but that is what makes him interesting); however, he seems to be more on mature side especially with his little bit older appearance. Most of his abilities and powers also seem to remain the same. The recent Dante gameplay demo also showed a number of his Devil Arms, namely:
- Rebellion: The trusty sword used by Dante and of course his father – the legendary Sparda. The sword has appeared from Devil May Cry 2 to 4 and it will surely return in Devil May Cry 5.
- Ebony & Ivory: Dante’s iconic pair of semi-automatic pistols which are designed by Nico’s grandmother Goldstein. The pistols can shoot rapidly with bullets imbued by Dante’s demonic power.
- Balrog: This is a set of gauntlets, greaves, and shoulder-pads imbued with the power of Fire Hell King. Balrog comes with 2 fighting modes: Kick Mode which focuses on powerful kicks featuring cool breakdance windmill move, and Kick Mode which focuses on rapid punches and powerful uppercut attack.
- Cavaliere: This weapon is actually an armored, demonic motorcycle with huge spikes from the sides of front tires. It can be split into 2 buzz-saw swords which feature slow, yet high-damage attacks covering wide area. In Swordmaster style, Dante can ride this it to attack enemy by ramming, doughnuts, and wheelies.
- Coyote-A: A powerful double-barrel shotgun which appeared in Devil May Cry 4 as Dante’s default weapon.
- Sparda: The legendary blade wielded by the Dark Knight Sparda himself.
Along with Dante’s Rebellion and the dual pistols Ebony & Ivory, Dante also has access to his 4 fighting styles, namely Royalguard, Trickster, Gunslinger, and Swordmaster. Royalguard style features ability to parry enemy’s attacks, Trickster style features ability to teleport in a short distance, while Gunslinger and Swordmaster gives Dante more edges and movesets for certain weapons. And finally, Dante can also transform to his Devil Trigger form which tremendously increases his attack power and regenerates his health.
The Vergil’s boy – Nero – has returned in Devil May Cry 5 and funny enough, he seems to be even more arrogant than his time in Order of the Sword. To certain extent, he is like Dante in younger years. That said, we expect to see his character development throughout this new sequel.
In terms of power, for some reason his Devil Bringer was ripped off by a mysterious entity. So instead, Nero uses a cybernetic arm called Devil Breaker crafted by Nico Goldstein. His Devil Breaker comes with 8 different types, all share 3 particular abilities:
- Wire Snatch: It pulls small enemies towards him, while pulling Nero himself towards heavier opponents (works similarly to his Devil Bringer in Devil May Cry 5). This ability can still be used even if Nero does not use any Devil Breaker type.
- Break Away: It instantly breaks a Devil Breaker and in return, allows Nero to dodge certain attacks.
- Break Age: A special move which is varied depends on different Devil Breaker type. However, it will immediately break the arm.
Among the 8 Devil Breakers, there were two particular ones which showcased in the demo:
- Overture: It shoots an electric from the Devil Breaker’s hand, dealing damage and effect depending on enemy’s position like airborne, knocked down, or near a wall. Its Break Age ability is Exploder which stores the energy inside the Overture to turn it into a bomb and explodes after a certain period of time.
- Gerbera: It releases shockwave which push enemies back or bounces Nero backward, suitable for dodging and maneuver. Its Break Age ability is Stamen Ray which shoots a powerful beam of energy in front of Nero. When used on air, the ability becomes Petal Ray which fires ricochet lasers.
The other 6 Devil Breakers include:
- Punch Line: It features a powerful punch which knockback and deals damage multiple times. Also, it can be detached so that Nero can ride and fly around with it. Nero can also slams enemies with the arm while flying.
- Tomboy: It charges Nero’s Blue Rose and Red Queen, giving them much, much more powerful damage and impact.
- Ragtime: It creates a powerful force field which slows time within its radius, making the enemies move extremely slow.
- Buster Arm: It allows Nero to throw enemies, even the huge one at the cost of low durability.
- Helter Skelter: It features spinning blades which literally drills through enemy. It also has 3 power levels, with the last level is so powerful that it away blast the enemy.
- Rawhide: It features razor whip which can lash all enemies around Nero. He can also uses this to grab an enemy and lash it around the area, and finally throw it onto a group of enemies.
And last but not least, Nero’s two signature weapons also make a return:
- Blue Rose: Nero’s only double-barrel pistol which can fire demonic energized shots in Devil May Cry 4. In Devil May Cry 5, the gun will no longer have the charging ability and instead, it will fire differently depending on different bullet types.
- Red Queen: Nero’s sword developed by Agnus from the Order of the Sword. In Devil May Cry 4, the sword can be revved up to enhance its attack power.
V is the brand new playable character and according to certain sources, it seems his full name is Vitale. There are quite a number of speculations about this new guy’s identity. The most popular one is that he is Dante and Lady’s son, which kind of makes sense given the relationship between Lady and Dante. If V is really Dante’s son, Trish will be less likely to be V’s mother despite being a very popular character among fans. The reason is Dante said that Trish resembles his mother so… having a son with Trish does not sound legit. Power-wise, nothing has been revealed yet about V’s capability. However, it is confirmed that his fighting style will be drastically different from Dante and Nero. Ideally, V will fight with his cane and by summoning demonic minions with his book.
The game is developed with RE Engine
No matter how we look at it, we cannot deny that Devil May Cry 5’s graphic looks fantastic. For those who do not know, the game uses RE Engine which was the very same engine used for the upcoming Resident Evil 2 Remake and 2017 Resident Evil 7. So at the very least, we can be ensured about Devil May Cry 5 visual quality.
Nero can call Nico via phone booth for upgrades
In Devil May Cry 5, we see Nero travels with a girl named Nico who crafts his Devil Breaker. According to Capcom, Nero will gather special crafting materials from bosses and he will be able to call Nico via phone booth. Afterwards, Nico will drive to Nero’s location and give him upgrade, though we still have not seen this upgrade/enhancement mechanic yet. And also, we are wondering if this mechanic will apply to Dante and V.
The game will include… microtransaction
This seems to be a deal-breaker for many players. Basically, Devil May Cry 5 will include microtransaction which allows players to purchase Red Orbs used for upgrades with real money. Capcom also stated that this will be added only as a choice and it will not affect the game itself. But no matter if that statement is true or not, definitely lots of gamers do not like this decision.
Devil May Cry 5 Digital Deluxe Edition
Just like most games in current era, Devil May Cry 5 will also include a special edition called Deluxe Edition which will provide special bonuses. These include:
- Dante will get Cavaliere R – an upgraded motorcycle weapon.
- Nero will get 4 Devil Breakers with unique abilities, including Mega Buster from Mega Man franchise, Gerbera GP-01, Sweet Surrender, and Pasta Breaker.
- Alternative style rank and title screen announcers.
- 12 classic battle themes.
- Behind-the-scene Pre-viz Live Action Cutscenes.
For those who’re living in Japan, pre-ordering Devil May Cry 5 from Amazon Japan will also give you an exclusive Banana Devil Breaker (yeah no joke!). We wonder if it will be available for the West though.
And that’s it folks! What do you think about Devil May Cry 5? Feel free to share with us and for now, thank you and stay tune for more news in the future!
You may also like: